September is National Preparedness Month. Our goal is to educate and empower the residents of North Las Vegas to prepare for and know how to respond to all types of emergencies, including natural disasters, long-term power outages and even terrorist attacks.
Preparedness enables residents to take care of themselves and their families after an incident until government assistance is available. Among the recommended measures:
- Register with Southern Nevada on the Alert (https://sonevada.onthealert.com) to receive notification in the case of an emergency.
- Assemble a Family Disaster Kit with water, food to last three to five days, a can opener, a flashlight and batteries, a wrench to turn off utilities if necessary, dust masks and a First Aid kit.
- Create a family emergency plan.
- Download the Southern Nevada Community Preparedness mobile app.
- Attend outreach events and presentations to learn more about emergency preparedness.
The City of North Las Vegas Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security hosts multiple outreach events throughout the year, during which staff distribute information booklets and emergency kit lists. Several upcoming events are scheduled:
Sept. 8: Home Depot, 1275 W. Craig Road, North Las Vegas (time to be announced)
Sept. 13: Neighborhood Recreation Center, 1638 N. Bruce St., North Las Vegas (9:30-10:30 a.m.)
Sept. 20: Silver Mesa Recreation Center, 4025 Allen Lane, North Las Vegas 89032 (10-11:30 a.m.)
Sept. 27: Walmart, 3950 W. Lake Mead Blvd., North Las Vegas (time to be announced)
Sept./Oct.: Sun City Aliante, North Las Vegas (date/time to be announced)
Don’t wait. Communicate. Make your emergency plan today.